Sunday, December 30, 2007

there she goes a-wanderlusting again

Claire gave me a wonderful book for Christmas: A Year in the World: Journeys of a Passionate Traveller by Frances Mayes. (If that name sounds familiar, that's probably because she also wrote Under the Tuscan Sun.) By now I am pretty much dying to go to Portugal, and I would just love to go back to Andalucía, this time taking it in at my own leisurely pace and without thirty American students as traveling companions. Only Portugal and Andalucía? you may ask. Well, those are the only two chapters I have read so far. I suspect that, by the end of the book, I will be dreaming also of Scotland and Turkey and Morocco and all the other marvelous places that will just be begging me to visit them once I have glimpsed their beauty and unique vitality in Mayes' descriptions and narratives.

My latest musical obsession is Sigur Rós. Unfortunately, I did not stick with my Icelandic class last semester, so I do not understand their lyrics or song titles. I don't even know how to pronounce their name. Sometimes I like to think of it as "sugar rush", though I know that is not quite right. There is a song of theirs called "Ný Batterí", which I often refer to as "new battery". I hope that that does not offend them. Anyway, I really like their music. You probably know that I like Björk's music a lot, and you may or may not know of my affinity for Emiliana Torrini's. Years ago I enjoyed reading Jules Verne's Journey to the Center of the Earth, and I have long been fascinated by geothermal phenomena. Basically, what I am trying to say is that I think that I would like Iceland. A lot. Like maybe enough to live there for a while?

Have you seen the indexed blog? If not, then you should. The boiled-down diagrams are clever, witty, understated, and often spot-on. I particularly liked this recent post. I have a passport; the question is, do I have enough of the other two?

5 comments:

Vanessa Swenson said...

That indexed blog is the best thing ever.
So when are you gonna learn that washing machine language? It's the goods. But I'd go for the whinier version, if I were you.

Good luck with that Icelandic pronunciation, btw.

Kimberly said...

I heard in a Norse mythology class that Iceland is the most literate country in the world. I think you would like it, too. From what I hear, it is a very neat place.

rantipoler said...

Mmmmm . . . Portugal . . .

Claire said...

you have the other two thing (ok, you might need a bit more gumption) but I think moving to Iceland sounds like a brilliant idea! go for it girl.

emily said...

thanks. that's why i love you. and why i listen to you more than to my family. will you come visit me in iceland?

i wanted to link portugal to a clip from arrested development, one of the various times that somebody in the family thinks that portugal is in south america. but alas, i could not find it.