Wednesday, April 15, 2009

play me a pretty song



Why can't the cafés around here pipe in some decent music?

Yesterday the soundtrack at the CoHo included a horribly out of tune and otherwise incompetent rendition of "More Than Words," a B-grade techno remix of "Forever Young," and other such bowling-alley-bad numbers.

This evening the selection at the University Café was smooth-jazz-tastic. Monotonous and wimpy-saxophonous.



I don't get it. I mean, If I worked at one of these establishments and were therefore forced to stay inside its walls for several hours at a time, I would most certainly be proactive in selecting the music that would fill that space while I shared it. After all, 'whistle while you work' can only go so far. Beyond that you need good music. As do your customers. Who does the DJ-ing at these places?



Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon? Or have I just been unlucky lately?

And an open question: what music would you play in your café?


(Suddenly I miss Guru's. Provo flashbacks are always so odd and unexpected.)

2 comments:

Vanessa Swenson said...

i would play sigur rós and philip glass.

emily said...

where is your magical café? tell me and i am THERE.