Wednesday, December 31, 2008

a year in review: 2008 by the numbers

I've never been that into new year's festivities. More and more I am feeling that no particular calendar day is inherently different from any other (it's what you do with the days that matters). I like to think that time doesn't exist (though I can't completely deny that it does, for us, in our sphere), and I have a friend who insists that it is cylindrical. I don't quite get it, either. What I am trying to say is that the difference between December 31 and January 1, between 2008 and 2009, is artificial, but it is there, so I can't help but take a moment to reflect on the past year. It was kind of a big one, by some accounts. Let's have a look, shall we?

skylark's 2008, by the numbers

4 hours writing for the specialty exam
96 pages in the completed thesis
1 diploma
2 weddings
3 solo trips to salt lake
2.5 moves
142 job applications
1 job offer
137 train rides (estimated)
1.5 heartbreaks
6 reunions with old friends

Wherever you may be, happy new day. Well alright, happy new year, too!

1 comment:

rantipoler said...

I just have to say that I am very glad you were a part of my year. I don't know that I ever told you how much it meant to me that you came down for my wedding. You're the best!